Renato Zegarra—the Wellness Chef—has an extensive and varied background in providing high quality, flavourful food for a diverse clientele.
Renato moved to Canada ten years ago from Lima, Peru. A professional swimmer in Lima, Renato has always embraced healthy living. When he arrived in Canada, he was faced with an opportunity to follow a new career path. Combining his passion for healthy living and his love of great food, Renato decided to become a Chef. Now an award winning cook, Renato brings his fusion of South and North American cuisine to everything he does. A focus on fresh, local produce and healthy meats and proteins means his food is always as beautiful as it is delicious.
After graduating from the Food Service and Nutrition Management program with the Canadian Healthcare Association and of the Culinary Management program at Fleming College Renato took a position as the Dining Services Manager at a high-end retirement residence. It was here in this role, that Renato gained invaluable experience working with a clientele with a wide range of dietary restrictions including lactose intolerance, wheat allergies, diabetes and Celiac disease. Never daunted, Renato’s goal was always to provide food that was more than nutritionally appropriate, but was delicious. As a caterer, Renato continues to work with a range of healthcare professionals to continue building his expertise of helping clients adapt to dietary restrictions without having to compromise their love of food.
- Food Service and Nutrition Management Certificate; Canadian Healthcare Association, Ottawa. 2009
- Certified Coach in Gentle Persuasive Approaches: Dementia care workshop, 2009
- H.C.H.S.A. workshop on Competent Supervision; 2005
- Diploma of Culinary Management; Fleming College, 2005
- Smart Serve Certification, 2004
- Advanced.fst management-level food safety training in Canada certification, 2003
- Bachelor of Advertisement and Publicity; Peruvian Advertisement Institute; Lima, Peru, 1990.
- Culinary Council Outstanding Achievement Award, 2005
Outstanding achievements within the Culinary Program as decided by their classmates
- Culinary Faculty Award, 2005
Presented to an outstanding graduate of the Culinary Management Program for leadership, class performance, school and community involvement.
- Canada Cutlery Inc. Award, 2004
Presented to a first-year Culinary Management student with the potential for success as demonstrated by their outstanding culinary skills.
- Sysco Food Service Ontario Award, 2004
Presented to a first-year Culinary Management student with the potential for success as demonstrated by their high academic achievement in their first-year of studies.